Reflections

Self-reflection

Two goals I have set out for myself in the early weeks of the effective communication module was to improve and gain confidence in my presentation skills. Preparing for the oral presentation has allowed me to evaluate and reflect on my presentation skills. Through the hours put into practising and refining our presentation, I have realized that the quality of a presentation delivered by the presenter is ultimately dependant on the amount of practice and the presenter’s knowledge of the content. A good presentation cannot be achieved by simply memorizing off a script. Amidst the preparation for the oral presentation, my teammates also expressed the difficulty and challenges they each faced during presenting. With constructive criticism and support from one another, I believe that we have helped one another improve and rectify our mistakes. Overall, I felt that I have achieved my goal in improving my presentation skills as a whole, and am able to bring this level of confidence towards my future endeavours.

(164 Words)

Project reflection

The topic of my group’s research project is with regards the implementation of a food recycling system for SIT @Punggol. Through this project, it has increased my awareness of various environmental issues throughout the world. Despite it being a written and oral communication module, this project allowed me to apply critical thinking and understanding of real-world issues while bringing it up for discussion and learning. Upon completion of the project, it has made me realise that learning can be brought outside of classrooms and the application to real-world scenarios will make learning more dynamic and interesting. Overall, the project has allowed me to further improve my language skills by allowing me to better understand the structure of a technical report while improving both my writing and presentation skills. I am confident that I will able to translate my presentation and writing skills I have attained into my future works.

(151 Words)

Critical reflection in response to presentations
Amongst all the groups that presented in the showcase, the presentation brought by PES Green left the deepest impression on me. Right off the bat, they were able to capture the audience’s attention by engaging them with questions and even adding a dash of humour. The way they opened their presentation allowed them to win over not only my full attention, but the majority of the audiences as well. The slides that they have prepared for their presentation was comprehensible and guided me through their presentation very smoothly. Every slide was consistent, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were able to paint their idea to the audience with just the use of pictures and the minimal amount of facts and figures. Team PES Green’s presentation was about proposing a tap-less gantry system to be implemented in the mass rapid transit system (MRT), the largest transport network in Singapore. Their goal was to increase the convenience for everyday users, and also to improve the convenience for the disabled when entering and exiting the gantries. Overall, as a daily user of the MRT, I find their idea very appealing and should be implemented. The one thing that made their presentation stand out compared to the others, was the confidence and their readiness when answering the questions from the judges. Every member of the group displayed their preparedness and knowledge of their content, showing that there is teamwork and synergy present. The one thing that I would like to add on to their presentation to make it even better, is to give a pictorial reference to what their end product might look like. The judges and some members of the audience struggled to visualize what the tap-less gantry would look like. Providing a hand-sketch or diagram to showcase the possible prototypes would be helpful. Overall, I feel team PES Green has put up an amazing presentation, and I would like to congratulate them once again on finishing top 3.

(327 Words)

3-Dec 2018

Comments

  1. Thank you, Nic, for these fluent and highly detailed final reflections. I appreciate your great effort with these assignments, the hard work you did with the project and your positive attitude with the module in general.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey at SIT and beyond.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory post : Starting out

Summary of "4 Ways to Demolish a Building" by Juan Rodriguez Draft 1